Texas And Canada Sweep The 2017 TOBY Awards
Texas and Canada won big at Tuesday night’s 2017 BOMA International's The Outstanding Building of the Year (TOBY) Awards at Nashville’s Music City Center. Eighty-six nominees competed for 15 of the top honors for commercial buildings and their operators, and the Lone Star State and America’s northern neighbor claimed four awards each.
The eagerly awaited 1M+ SF International TOBY Award went to the Toronto-Dominion Centre in Toronto. The property is managed by Cadillac Fairview Corp. and owned by both Cadillac Fairview and OPB (TDC) Inc. The six-tower development is Canada’s largest office complex and also is a BOMA 360 Performance Program building.
Other TOBY Awards were given out based on square footage:
- 500K-1M SF: 411 East Wisconsin Center, Milwaukee (managed by Riverview Realty Management; owned by FMC Investment Opportunities 411 East Wisconsin SP)
- 250K-499,999K SF: 100 Bayview Circle, Newport Beach, California (managed by RiverRock Real Estate Group; owned by AEW Capital Management)
- 100K-249,999K SF: The Addison, Dallas (managed by Holt Lunsford Commercial; owned by AD Addison LLC)
- Under 100K SF: 6525 The Corners, Norcross, Georgia (managed by CBRE; owned by Glenfield Capital)
Awards ceremony emcees Ray Mackey and Joe Markling, both former BOMA International Chairs, kept the show lively and paid a final homage to the host city with their black cowboy hats.
Chicago’s iconic Wrigley Building took home the 2017 International TOBY Award for Historical Building. The BOMA 360-designated terra cotta building is an official City of Chicago Landmark and was completed in two phases in 1921 and 1924. It is owned by BDT Capital Partners and Zeller Realty Group and managed by Zeller Realty Group.
Other specialty building awards included:
- Corporate Facility: HESS Tower in Houston (managed by CBRE; owned by HT Houston Portfolio LP)
- Earth: 71 South Wacker in Chicago (managed by JLL; owned by Irvine Co.)
- Government Building: 2 Capitol Square in Atlanta (managed and owned by the Georgia Building Authority)
- Renovated Building: One Shell Plaza in Houston (managed by Hines Interests LP; owned by Busycon Properties)
- Retail Building: CF Toronto Eaton Centre in Toronto (managed and owned by Cadillac Fairview Corp.)
Canada was well represented in a variety of categories, with the Kennedy Matheson Industrial Complex in Mississauga, Ontario, taking home the TOBY for Industrial Office Building. The property is managed by Menkes Property Management Services and owned by 3883281 Canada Inc.
East Calgary Health Centre in Calgary, Alberta, won the TOBY for Medical Office Building and is managed by Bentall Kennedy (Canada) LP and owned by Beacon Hill Apartments Ltd.
Other office-related TOBY Awards included:
- Suburban Office Park, Low-Rise: The Summit at Lantana in Austin (managed by HPI Real Estate Management; owned by 7171 SW Parkway Associates)
- Suburban Office Park, Mid-Rise: Centennial Lakes Office Park in Edina, Minnesota (managed by Cushman & Wakefield/NorthMarq; owned by Centennial Lakes I-V LLC)
Congratulations to all the nominees, and it is never too early to start thinking about who will win at next year’s ceremony in San Antonio!