The 8 Biggest Developments Coming To Silver Line Phase 2
Want to get a jump-start on upcoming deals? Meet the major D.C. players at one of our upcoming events!
Construction on Phase 2 of the Silver Line began in 2014 and is expected to be completed by 2020. This huge expansion of Metro access is bringing a ton of development alongside it. We decided to take a look at some of the biggest projects in the works around the Silver Line's Phase 2, with our list going from east to west along the rail line.
- Developer: Boston Properties
- Location: South of Urban Core of Reston Town Center, immediately north of RTC Metro Stop
- Details: Between 3M SF and 3.5M SF
- Timeline: Rezoning application filed in late 2016/early 2017 with expected delivery aligned with Metro’s arrival
Reston Gateway is envisioned as a transit-oriented extension of Reston Town Center Urban Core on its south side near the Metro station. Phase 1 of the project will include a signature office building, at least one multifamily building, at least one hotel and at least 200k SF of entertainment-focused retail.
- Developer: JBG
- Location: Just off the Dulles Toll Road near the upcoming Reston Town Center Metro station
- Details: 420k SF office space, 40k SF of retail
- Timeline: Retail anchor expected to open mid-2017
After renovating the 420k SF of existing office space in 2014, JBG is adding 40k SF of retail set to open in the middle of next year. Anchor Cooper's Hawk Winery and Restaurant will be joined by Nano's Peri Peri and Mezeh Mediterranean Grill.
Tishman Speyer's Herndon Development
- Developer: Tishman Speyer
- Location: Less than a mile east of Herndon-Monroe Metro station
- Details: 1.5M SF; more than 700 residential units over five blocks; two buildings totaling 560k SF adjacent to toll road of office/hotel/retail
Tishman purchased the 32-acre vacant property west of Monroe Street, north of Sunrise Valley Drive and south of the Dulles Toll Road for $35M in 2005.
- Developer: JV of Greenfield Partners and Origami Capital Partners
- Location: Intersection of Route 28 and Innovation Avenue, next to the upcoming Innovation Center Metro
- Details: 5.5M SF total: 400k SF of retail; 1,265 multifamily units; 350 hotel rooms; 3.5M SF of office space
- Timeline: They hope to be far along with Phase 1 by 2020.
The 85-acre site for The Hub, formerly known as Dulles World Center, was originally owned by Greenfield Partners, which just brought in Origami as a JV partner in October. Part of the development is 20 acres of secure land slated for 1M SF of government offices. The JV is tackling residential in the first phase and hopes to have that near completion by the Metro's opening.
- Developer: Chantilly Crushed Stone (Gudelsky Group affiliate)
- Location: Northeast of Dulles International Airport, near upcoming Innovation Center Metro station
- Details: 5M SF; 2,200 multifamily units; 3.8M SF office
- Timeline: Groundbreaking won't be for at least four years.
It will take at least eight years for the quarry pit to fill with water to form the 54-acre lake that will be the centerpiece of this project. The Loudoun Board of Supervisors approved the project in September, with one referring to it as a "lasting legacy of this board."
Innovation Center South
- Developer: Rocks Engineering Co
- Location: Herndon, near the upcoming Innovation Center Metro station
- Details: 1.6M SF total; 1,000 residential units, 500k SF of office
- Timeline: The office and at least one multifamily building are expected to deliver by the end of 2019.
Developer Ralph Rocks bought the land well before the idea of the Silver Line was in the works. His grandson Michael is running the show now and says there has been plenty of interest from corporate tenants and multifamily developers. The firm broke ground last June on what is expected to be a $1B project combining office, residential, retail and hotel.
- Developer: Comstock Partners
- Location: Near the upcoming Loudoun Gateway Metro station
- Details: Full plan includes 300k SF of retail; 1.3M SF of office; 1,500 homes; 200-plus room hotel
- Timeline: Phase 2 is set to deliver by 2020.
Comstock has delivered BLVD One and Two, totaling 357 residential units as well as plenty of retail. The rest of the multifamily and office space is slated to deliver by 2020.
- Developer: 22 Capital Partners, Microsoft
- Location: North side of the Dulles Greenway, adjacent to the upcoming Ashburn Metro stop
- Details: $500M, 2.5M SF
- Timeline: Phase 1 is tentatively scheduled to deliver in Q3 2018.
Local Developer Minh Le and 22 Capital Partners landed Microsoft as a co-investor in this massive project. The tech giant plans to create a "smart city" by focusing on smart buildings, sustainable land use and operations management and neighborhood management.