Google Taking 584K SF Of Creative Office Space At Revamped LA Shopping Mall
Google is coming to west Los Angeles.
The company has signed a 14-year lease with Hudson Pacific Properties and Macerich to take over the joint venture's entire 584K SF planned creative office redevelopment of the Westside Pavilion shopping center. The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"We are thrilled to expand our relationship with Google, and are proud to support this significant phase of their growth," Hudson Pacific Properties Chairman and CEO Victor Coleman said in a news release. "Google’s selection of One Westside demonstrates the strength of the Los Angeles tech and media industries, and exemplifies the type of creative office space that is in demand from large tech and media tenants.”
Google's announcement comes two months after the tech company moved into its newest 320K SF creative office campus at Howard Hughes' former Spruce Goose hangar in Playa Vista.
With the lease on Los Angeles' Westside, the Mountain View-based search engine giant is expanding its Southern California presence.
The 755K SF Westside Pavilion at 10800 West Pico Blvd. had struggled in recent years. Owner Macerich had flirted with selling the shopping center in 2017.
Instead of unloading the property, Macerich formed a JV with Hudson Pacific in March to repurpose the struggling retail mall into a 584K SF creative office dubbed One Westside. Hudson Pacific owns 75% of the venture and serves as the managing member and the property’s day-to-day operator and developer, and Macerich owns the remaining 25%.
The redevelopment of One Westside is expected to commence later this year with completion slated for 2022. Google’s lease term will start upon completion of construction and build-out, Macerich officials said.
Designed by Gensler, One Westside will feature high ceilings, a multilevel atrium and a skylight. The JV said there will be up to 150K SF dedicated as a hyper-flexible open layout and 45K SF of exterior terraces and patios.
The property will also feature rooftop amenity space with a garden deck and bridge access to a movie theater, a restaurant and retail shops.
The JV earlier this year said it plans to spend $425M to $475M to reposition the shopping mall into creative offices.
The property is next to an Expo Line and close to major freeways. Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti hailed Google's move on Twitter.
"[Google and Hudson Pacific] are making powerful investments in LA and the genius of our people by turning part of the Westside Pavilion into offices," Garcetti tweeted. "When the jobs of tomorrow go near transit hubs, we create opportunities for every community to thrive and be part of defining the future."