Barbara Anne (B.A.) Spignardo
Barbara Anne ("B.A.") Spignardo is a member of the firm’s Real Estate and Business groups. She focuses primarily on real estate transactions and finance, as well as business and commercial transactions and lending. Before joining Shapiro, Lifschitz & Schram, she was an attorney with Locke Lord LLP in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office.
B.A. has focused on real estate law since beginning her practice in 2002. She has represented lenders, borrowers, developers, sellers and institutional investors in sophisticated, high-dollar commercial real estate transactions including hotel, multifamily, assisted living, office and retail properties. Her work includes origination and servicing of construction and development loans, debt and equity financings, acquisitions, and dispositions.
In addition, B.A. has worked on the review and negotiation of commercial leases and the analysis and negotiation of management and franchise agreements. She also is experienced at conducting corporate governance work, including drafting and reviewing corporate resolutions and officer certificates.
B.A. is passionate about her work in the real estate sector – taking raw land and creating something useful for people, especially structures that encourage travel and exploration. She notes that the core of real estate work is land and relationships. As a “people person,” B.A. particularly enjoys building relationships and working closely with her clients to bring a vision to fruition.
Early in her academic endeavors, B.A. found that she was most interested in discovering all of the facts, understanding various views in determining an outcome and working through to the best resolution. This, combined with her love of travel, led to her finding the perfect career in real estate law.
Partnering with her clients to ensure the most favorable outcome in any transaction, B.A. is a savvy negotiator and staunch advocate. Examples that illustrate her work include:
Assisted in representing multifamily developers in the origination of mortgage loans secured by apartment projects in Colorado and Texas.
• Represented a shopping center owner in the refinancing of multiple mortgage loans secured by regional retail centers in Fairfax County, Virginia.
• Represented a property owner and lender in sale and seller financing of a resort hotel in Arizona.
• Originated a $35 million refinancing loan for an existing full-service hotel and golf course in Fort Worth, Texas.
• Originated a seven-figure interim loan for refinancing a brand-name hotel, including a New Market Tax Credit component and construction loans for the construction of two brand-name hotels, each transaction involving the same principals and lender, which closed in rapid succession.
• Represented a lender in a construction loan for the construction of an office/warehouse space pre-leased by the GSA/State Department in Lorton, Virginia.
• Involved with forbearance in connection with a $10 million letter of credit facility and $4 million equity facility cross-defaulted and cross-collateralized, including land parcels and assignments of proceeds from various purchase and sale agreements as additional security.
• Represented special and master servicers in connection with assumptions, modifications, restructurings, workouts and enforcement actions of securitized and non-securitized mortgage loans.
• Represented lenders in foreclosure and enforcement proceedings with respect to mezzanine and mortgage loans and equity pledges in various jurisdictions, including enforcing guarantees and realization upon real and personal property collateral.
• Represented lenders and agents in a variety of modifications, restructurings, inter-creditor negotiations and workouts.
Shapiro, Lifschitz & Schram