Contact Us

Fire on 50th Floor of John Hancock Center Caused by Candle


The biggest story of the weekend wasn't the largest November snowfall in Chicago in 120 years. It was the fire that occurred Saturday at the John Hancock Center. Five people, including a police officer, were injured in the blaze, which was quickly brought under control, reports the New York Times.

The fire started in a 50th floor apartment of the skyscraper, when a candle was overturned in a bedroom. The fire was relegated to the apartment, and flames and smoke could be seen billowing out of the unit.

The fire was under control by 3:15pm. Extra alarms were called so firefighters could do floor-by-floor wellness checks. The Hancock Center is a mixed-use skyscraper, with residential apartments and condos on the middle floors of the 100-story building. [NYT]