Arlington County Has Highest Millennial Growth Rate. Here’s Why
Want to get a jump-start on upcoming deals? Meet the major D.C. players at one of our upcoming events!
Arlington County has become a hotbed of highly educated millennials, who flock to the area’s burgeoning employment centers and innovation districts for jobs. Meanwhile, its pedestrian friendliness, transit infrastructure, numerous parks with ample green space and new cosmopolitan vibe have attracted baby boomers to the area.
The Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor and nearby neighborhoods like Crystal City have evolved tremendously in the past decade, establishing true live-work-play nodes that entice young people.
One of the greatest catalysts of the Arlington landscape’s transformation, from an area dominated by old Class-B office buildings to one with high-value mixed-use that integrates retail, residential and Class-A office, is the investment it has made in public transit. Bisnow partnered with Arlington Transportation Partners for a “by the numbers” look at how transportation has enabled Arlington’s impressive evolution.
- Busiest Arlington Metro Station: Pentagon, with over 27,000 daily entries and exits
- How Arlington residents commute to work: 44% drive alone while 56% use public transit, bike, walk or carpool/vanpool
- Arlington residential and commercial buildings with secure bicycle parking: 149
- Capital Bikeshare stations in Arlington: 92
- Arlington Capital Bikeshare rides in June: 32,100
- Residential units delivered in Arlington's Metro corridors since 2010: 6,100
- Residential units in Arlington’s pipeline under construction around Metro: 1,700
- New office delivered in Arlington’s Metro corridors since 2010: 2.2M SF
- New office in Arlington’s pipeline under construction around Metro: 1.3M SF
- Ranking on Niche.com’s 2017 ranking of best cities for millennials: 1
- Millennial growth rate from 2007 to 2013: 82%, the highest in the nation
- Arlington’s share of the D.C. region’s millennials: 27.1%, the highest of any area
To learn more about this Bisnow content sponsor and how its ambitious recent projects, programs, services and initiatives are shaping Arlington, click here.