Chargers Won’t Decide Whether To Stay Or Go Until Season Ends
With Measure C, the ballot measure that would have provided partial funding for the proposed Chargers convadium—combo stadium and convention center annex—the team is considering moving to the Rams' new stadium in Inglewood (rendering above), according to a report for the NFL Network Insider. Following failure of the measure, Chargers chairman Dean Spanos said the decision will be made after the end of the season. The team must decide by Jan. 15, 2017, whether to exercise its option to relocate to the LA area—after that date, the option will go to the Raiders. If the Chargers go, the team must pay the NFL a $550M relocation fee.
Rams COO Kevin Demoff said the Chargers and Rams are discussing the possibility of the Chargers moving to LA. While there are hurdles to any deal, he said the relationship between the two owners is good and the Chargers would be welcomed, so nothing is standing in their way should they decide to relocate. He said the two teams have engaged in ongoing conversations since last January. The NFL, however, hopes the Chargers will remain in San Diego, according to the Insider.
The Rams broke ground last week on the Inglewood stadium in the south LA area on the site of the now-defunct Hollywood Park. The stadium will include a 300-acre entertainment venue with a hotel on-site, single-family homes, office, 1M SF of retail, a 6,000-seat performance theater and a 25-acre park. The area is larger than Century City and three times the size of the original Disneyland, according to Demoff. The project is expected to create about 40,000 construction jobs. [NFL]