Waterfront Miami Site With 20M SF Of Potential Hits Market Asking Over $1B

Miami Herald Former Site 1 Herald Plaza
Genting Malaysia Bhd Is Looking To Sell The Coveted Waterfront Land Parcel Along Biscayne Bay, Once Home To The Miami Herald Newspaper.

A 16-acre development site on Biscayne Bay has hit the market, with the seller — a gaming giant from Malaysia that tried and failed to develop a casino — expecting to reap $1B from a sale.

Genting Malaysia Bhd is looking to sell its coveted Downtown Miami waterfront parcel, once home to the Miami Herald, it announced Tuesday, and it has retained Avison Young to market it to potential buyers

“I've been speaking to probably half a dozen buyers this morning alone,” Avison Young Chairman Michael Fay told Bisnow Wednesday. "Everybody will be over a billion dollars for sure."

Fay, who is the principal managing director of Avison Young’s Miami office, said the site can accommodate up to 20M SF of mixed-use development because it has "the most aggressive entitlements" allowable in the city.

He said that in the less than 24 hours since Bloomberg first reported the listing, investors from the U.S., Latin America, Europe, the United Arab Emirates and Canada have already expressed interest in acquiring the site.

The 6.5-hectare parcel at 1431 North Bayshore Drive is one of the largest undeveloped pieces of land in Miami and has 800 feet of frontage on the bay.

“It is an iconic, transformational site,” Fay said.

Land sales have skyrocketed around Downtown Miami since the pandemic, with dollar volume increasing 150% between 2019 and last year, The Real Deal reported.

Genting bought the vast majority of the parcel in 2011 for $236M, and assumed the mortgage on the rest of the land, including the Omni Center building, that same year, The Wall Street Journal reported. It plans to use the proceeds to fund new development at its property in New York, where it hopes to win one of three newly available licenses, per Bloomberg.

Genting attempted to gain approval for a casino license for the Biscayne Bay site from the state and originally had plans to build a complex, mixed-used development including six buildings with retail, hotel and residential units.

The firm attempted to amend the Florida rule that grants Native American tribes exclusive permission to operate casinos in the state, but its efforts ultimately went nowhere. It will take as its consolation prize an expected return more than four times what it paid.

“South Florida’s popularity only continues to grow, and we are incredibly optimistic about our opportunity to bring a unique development to the area,” Genting Americas East President Robert DeSalvio said in a press release.

Continue reading this story with a free account

Log in or register
Sign up for more articles like this
Subscribe to Bisnow's South Florida Newsletters
Related Stories

Investors Want A Slice Of Exclusive Florida Keys Hotel Market

Pablo Castro's Lawyers Quit HueHub Suit, Citing 'Irreconcilable Differences'

Pharma-Turned-Crypto Firm Moves HQ From California To West Palm: The South Florida Deal Sheet

Hedge Fund Bids $88M For Spirit Airlines' Former HQ

Miami's Condo Craze Has Developers Spending Millions On Sales Galleries

Boca Raton's New Leaders Throwing 'All Kinds Of Curveballs' At Developers

Rapper Rick Ross Joins 670-Unit Miami Gardens Condo Project

Ken Griffin Completes Takeover Of Brickell Block, Setting Stage For $2.5B Megaproject

Waste Management Buys Medley Site For $379M: The South Florida Deal Sheet

Integra Acquires Evacuated Broward Condo Complex Via Court-Ordered Auction

REPORT: Google Quadruples Miami Office After Founders' Mansion Buys

Braemar To Sell Key West Hotel For $190M: The South Florida Deal Sheet