Contact Us
News

Architect Richard Meier Steps Back From His Firm In The Wake Of Sexual Harassment Claims

Placeholder
Richard Meier

Pritzker Prize-wining architect Richard Meier is stepping back from leading the firm he founded, seven months after sexual harassment allegations against him were made public.

Meier, who founded Richard Meier & Partners in 1963, will continue to be “available to colleagues and clients who seek his vast experience and counsel,” the firm said Tuesday, The Real Deal reports.

Managing Principal Bernhard Karpf will now lead the company. When the New York Times published the accusations of five women in March, Meier took a six-month leave of absence.

“It is an honor to lead this talented team as we build upon the body of work we have created over a half-century,” Karpf said in a statement, according to TRD.

Two women who worked at the firm said Meier had exposed himself to them when they had been sent to his New York City apartment.

A third woman said he grabbed her underwear through her dress during a work party, another said Meier had her undress at his home so she could be photographed and a fifth woman, who did not work at the firm, accused the architect of forcing her onto a bed and lying on top of her in the 1980s. Meier has publicly apologized to the women.

When the allegations became public, the firm was working on Sheldon Solow’s 656 First Ave. and a tower at GID Development’s One Waterline Square.

CORRECTION OCT. 10, 2:15 E.T: Richard Meier will continue to be involved with his firm. An earlier version misstated the nature of the change. This story has been updated.