Contact Us

Greater Manchester Misses Brownfield Land Target By A Mile


Greater Manchester has sufficient brownfield sites for less than half the homes it is meant to build, according to new data.

Analysis by Barton Willmore of official information from the 10 council areas in the Greater Manchester Combined Authority has found land sufficient for 100,103 homes against a need for 227,200 homes. 

Just 40% of the brownfield sites identified have planning permission or approval, with the other 60% in the pipeline and thus offering less guarantees for delivery.

Manchester City Council is the only GMCA member able to demonstrate that more than 70% of its housing need can be delivered on brownfield land, Barton Willmore said. This is in contrast to less than 30% in Bury, Stockport and Trafford.

The data reveals 1,246 brownfield sites across Greater Manchester.

“While a large number of sites have been identified it is clearly not enough to meet the identified housing need for the City Region," Barton Willmore’s Manchester planning director, Greg Dickson, said. "What the data does is help us to establish the extent of the shortfall so we can carefully consider a plan-led system, and how and where additional housing should be delivered.”