Richard McKinnon is the Principal of the McKinnon Company Inc. Mr. McKinnon is a lifelong resident of Cambridge, educated in its public schools and then at Harvard College. From 1975-1983, he served for two terms as Chief of Staff to the entire Cambridge City Council and for two additional terms as Chief of Staff to the Mayor of Cambridge. Acting as Principal Development Consultant and/or as a Limited Partner, Mr. McKinnon has been responsible for the permitting and the development of a number of significant projects over the last 20years. These projects include: With Steve Karp of New England Development: • CambridgeSide, a 2,000,000 square feet mixed-use development including: CambridgeSide Galleria; Cambridge’s only regional mall; Lotus Development Headquarters’ Office Building; The Hotel Marlowe; a 236 room Kempton Hotel which opened March 2003.; • The Monitor Building, a 200,000 square foot office building at 2 Canal Park in East; ambridge, which was developed, leased, and sold in 1999. With Dean Stratouly and David Gardner of Congress Group Ventures:
• North Point Center, a 1,250,000 mixed-use project comprised of:
Museum Towers; Twin Towers of 435 apartments on the Charles River in the North Point Development District. (Sold to Clarion);
EF Center; the United State headquarters of EF Corporation, adjacent to Museum Towers at North Point. (Sold to EF);
• One Memorial Drive; Cambridge’s Premier Office Tower; Over 600,000 square feet of office and parking.;
• Riverview Office Tower and the Carter’s Ink Historic Rehab;
An historic rehab of Carter’s Ink connected behind by an atrium to a structured parking garage of greater height than Carter’s, atop of which sits a new office tower with spectacular views from every floor. Over half a million feet of rehab, structured parking and new office.
With the Schlager Family of the Bulfinch Companies:
• Cambridge Place; a complex of three office buildings in Kendall Square, Cambridge that was completed in 1999 and 2000. Each building is single- tenant and fully leased. In excess of 450,000 square feet, Cambridge Place is the headquarters of Camp Dresser McKee, Variagenics, and Add Inc.;
• The rezoning of Acorn Park, October 2001, to allow 900,000 square feet of commercial development and 400,000 square feet of structured parking ;
• The permitting of 1,250,000 square feet of office space and structural parking including the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. ;
• The Harvard Square Post Office; demolition of the old Post Office, replaced by a building five times larger including a state of the art Post Office and the headquarters of the Harvard Law School Alumni Association. With Charles E. Smith Residential, of Archstone-Smith:
• The rezoning of North Point, into a new P.U.D. district, October of 2011. 50 acres owned by the As a Principal in the Smith Trust, a major role in shaping the development and final Mellon Family, 6 acres owned by Smith: Responsibility for permitting. Planning Board P.U.D. Special Permit voted unanimously on September 10, 2002 to allow construction of: 767 units of high rise housing (by far Cambridge’s largest private housing development). 65,000 square feet of office; 870 parking spaces
Other projects include:
• The Esplanade; with Richard Cohen, a very high-end 296 unit condominium complex on;
• The Harvard Square Garage and retail shops; in the heart of Harvard Square, this the Charles River in Cambridge. Designed by Moshe Safdie, the units in the Esplanade resell at the upper end of the Cambridge market. development involved a complex negotiation with Harvard College, our abutter, who ultimately provided funding for the project.
Very Recent Projects:
• Working again with Congress Group on behalf of EF, rezoned the NorthPoint PUD for a second time, the McKinnon Petition. This allows the development and construction of EF' second office building, this one 300,000 SF on the banks of the Charles adjacent to NorthPoint Park. Construction, Summer 2012.;
• Limited partner with Criterion Development Partners of Houston, Texas in the redevelopment of the former Faces site on Route 2 in Cambridge. Construction began in October of 2011. 227 residences with 230 parking spaces.
• Developer on behalf of Equity Office Properties, 180 CambridgePark Drive at the Equity Office Park at Alewife. TMC is developing a 400 unit residential project with 400 parking spaces within the office park. Con Com in February, Planning Board in March. A pre-sale forward contract of the project to the Hanover Company, Houston, Texas, has already been executed. They will commence construction in Q1/2013.
These projects have been widely recognized and have won a number of awards, including the following:
• Governor’s Energy Conservation Award, 1994;
• Winner, Monitor 1991 Award of Excellence;
• Business Week, 1990 Award for Best Interior Design;
• Architectural Review of high praise, by Pulitzer Prize winning Architectural Critic for the Boston Globe, Robert Campbell.
Mr. McKinnon has received a number of awards and commendations from a variety of organizations including; the Mayor of Cambridge, the Cambridge City Council, The East Cambridge Planning Team, The East Cambridge Scholarship Fund, The East Cambridge Little League, The East End House, Team Portugal, Boston Area Rape Crises Center, The East Cambridge V.F.W.,
The Friends of Alewife Reservation as well as a number of others.
Mr. McKinnon served on the Blue Ribbon Committee which recognized and modernized the City’s Departments of Inspectional Services, is the pro-bono Development Consultant to the YWCA, and has served and continues to serve on a number of boards, including Just A Start Corporation.