Mass. Gaming Commission Wants Steve Wynn’s Lawsuit Moved To Massachusetts
Attorneys for the Massachusetts gaming regulator weighing the fate of a $2.6B Wynn Resorts casino in Greater Boston argue an ongoing lawsuit pertaining to the project and its disgraced former CEO should be moved out of Nevada and into the Bay State.
The findings of a Massachusetts Gaming Commission report into how much Wynn Resorts knew of alleged sexual misconduct by ex-Wynn Resorts CEO Steve Wynn and whether the company can keep its Massachusetts gaming license have been delayed due to ongoing litigation in Nevada.
Steve Wynn has argued part of the report includes documents subject to attorney-client privilege and “privileged communications” with the company he once oversaw. His lawyers have argued in a Las Vegas courtroom the findings of the report should not be released if it contains that information, and Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez put a temporary hold on the report’s release in late December. Lawyers for Boston-based firm Anderson & Kreiger, which is representing the MGC, are pushing for the case to transfer to a Massachusetts court, MassLive reports.
“[We] want to make our perspective on one issue clear today: we do not believe Mr. Wynn’s allegations ... are supported by the facts here,” Anderson & Kreiger Managing Partner David Mackey told MassLive.
Gonzalez’s block has left the report's release date unclear, and Mackey said he argued last week in court that it was not appropriate for a Nevada court to exert power over a Massachusetts government agency. The MGC is expected to meet with lawyers Tuesday to review their legal options.
The MGC was expected to release the report in December, and Encore Boston Harbor is on track to open in June as long as Wynn Resorts maintains its license to run a casino in Greater Boston.